www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Representation advice for JSR 314
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 05:30:47 GMT
Andrew C. Olvier wrote:

> As a representative of the ASF?  Let's say that half of the developers
> of HTTPD decided to move the test kit (I assume you guys have tests) to
> another server/organization, close source it, license it back to Apache
> under terms to be negotiated later and that some of the committers would
> be allowed to participate in developing the HTTPD test kit, and others
> wouldn't.  you'd be cool with those developers being official
> representatives of Apache to the other organization right?  You'd be
> cool with that right?  You wouldn't call that closed source development
> or anti-community right?  If you would then let's label these things
> correctly.

Long live the revolution!  Down with the tyrants of opacity!

Of course the httpd project does use the donations of closed technologies
when some vendor wants to offer useful data of some source code scanning
mechanism they created, or similar.  We don't care how someone correctly
identifies (and potentially patches) a bug, although nearly every such
service has proven to be a 99.8% waste of time (with a few small nuggets
of gold in them there turds).

In your example, we'd (httpd would) simply reject the offer and keep using
the open copy of the framework.

Ciao,

Bill