www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Olvier" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: Representation advice for JSR 314
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 03:51:34 GMT
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 21:50 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> You misread me (so did Gary - don't feel bad).
>
> Each of us can do all the development we like anywhere we like.

including on behalf of the ASF?

> The **ASF** code development happens on open lists.

Except for the code developed by official representatives of the ASF
that is initially hosted on external servers and then used on ASF
hardware :-)

> So sure, the ASF EG reps will point out flaws in third party software
> to its authors, with the help of committers, heck we fix third party
> libraries all the time that the ASF code depends upon.  Sometimes on
> our public list, sometimes on their public list, sometimes privately.

So you're saying that Apache's official represnetatives and NDA
signatories can discuss bugs in the TCK openly as well as the ways to
fix those bugs and how they affect the project and its passing of the
TCK etc all on open lists?  Can they say post the defective lines of
code and the proposed fix?  Is the TCK installed on Apache servers, are
the bugs fixed there?

What is special about his rather than say JIRA is the NDA, license,
official representation, and the difference in relationship of a project
and the TCK (which is the executable part of the specification and more
authoritative than the PDF).

So you deny that Apache is engaged in closed and closed source
development?

> Who cares?  That is not **ASF** code.  The ASF code lives under the
> umbrella of http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ and is public from the
> time we write it.

Except for the code the ASF designs/develops through its official
representatives that is hosted off the ASF servers but developed BY the
ASF (and not as individuals).

> That was what I ment; don't discuss the development of /repos/asf/
> source code on private lists, but do whatever you like about code
> that doesn't live there.  If it isn't there, it isn't the ASF's.

As a representative of the ASF?  Let's say that half of the developers
of HTTPD decided to move the test kit (I assume you guys have tests) to
another server/organization, close source it, license it back to Apache
under terms to be negotiated later and that some of the committers would
be allowed to participate in developing the HTTPD test kit, and others
wouldn't.  you'd be cool with those developers being official
representatives of Apache to the other organization right?  You'd be
cool with that right?  You wouldn't call that closed source development
or anti-community right?  If you would then let's label these things
correctly.

-Andy