www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: How Apache Votes on JSRs
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:18:51 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@...> writes:

> On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
> > Just to clear up any confusion, 'FOU-free' means voting against TCK
> > licenses
> > that restrict the field of use of certified binaries, rather than
> > against TCK
> > licenses that restrict the field of use of TCKs, right?
>
> yes - this is about limitations placed upon the software being tested
> by the TCK, or the users of that software tested by the TCK.  It's
> not a demand for changes in limitations placed on licensees of TCKs
> (which aren't end users)

Yeah, makes sense to me.

> > It seems to me that 3 is redundant due to conditions and
> > consequences in 2
> > covering those in 3.
>
> Yes - maybe there's a better way to word it.  This comes about
> because we could also start demanding to see the TCK terms at the
> public review ballot, rather than the final ballot, but we felt that
> would place undue stress on spec leads at this time.

Ah, OK. I thought the ASF asked for FOU-free TCK terms on each possible JSR
ballot already?

> > 3 also seems to imply 1 due to ASF's interpretation of the
> > JSPA, so I guess one could just leave 1) standing, and explain what
> > sort of TCK
> > licenses the ASF regards as out of compliance with the JSPA.
>
> True, but #1 goes beyond simple TCK issues - we wanted it to be a
> general statement, and not one reflective of current situation.

Right, I was trying to figure out if there is a way to express this policy in a
simpler way, as simple policies are easier to explain to others. #1 captures the
general case nicely, I think.

cheers,
dalibor topic