www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: How Apache Votes on JSRs
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:02:07 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@...> writes:

> At the last JCP EC F2F meeting, I gave a presentation to the EC.
> (See in a different thread....)  In it, I explained to the entire EC
> how Apache will be voting on JSRs going forward. This approach was
> discussed and approved at the last Apache board meeting. We had quite
> a bit of discussion, and I hope the following boils it down clearly.
> As presented to the EC :
>
> 1) We will vote “NO” on any vote for a JSR led by a spec lead we feel
> is out of compliance with the JSPA
>
> 2) We will vote “NO” on any vote for a JSR where the spec lead won’t
> commit to a FOU-free TCK licenses (for that JSR)
>
> 3) We will vote “NO” for any final vote where the presented TCK
> license terms aren’t FOU-free (for that JSR)
>
> Comments?

Just to clear up any confusion, 'FOU-free' means voting against TCK licenses
that restrict the field of use of certified binaries, rather than against TCK
licenses that restrict the field of use of TCKs, right?

It seems to me that 3 is redundant due to conditions and consequences in 2
covering those in 3. 3 also seems to imply 1 due to ASF's interpretation of the
JSPA, so I guess one could just leave 1) standing, and explain what sort of TCK
licenses the ASF regards as out of compliance with the JSPA.

cheers,
dalibor topic