www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 06:22:25 GMT

On Aug 10, 2007, at 7:13 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Okay...so when do we surrender?

Why would we surrender?

> Geir?  How do we surrender?

We don't surrender.  There's no reason to surrender.  We're doing
just fine.  I think this is a big mistake on Sun's part.  It's a
discriminatory license (also forbidden by the JSPA) and takes away
Sun's ability to claim that we're offered the same terms as any other
implementor.

It also is a pretty shameless attempt to try to exploit/create a rift
between "free software" and "open source".

> Or wait...we can just indefinitely vote against sun specs and do
> nothing more as a means of surrendering.  cool.  Sun wins, apache
> looses.

No - the way Sun is playing this, we all lose.  We ned to fix this.
Java is too important.

Essentially, I think sun is simply trying to change the subject.
Their violation of the JSPA doesn't go away - and we're not going away.

geir