www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:26:32 GMT

On Aug 11, 2007, at 2:22 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> No - the way Sun is playing this, we all lose.  We ned to fix
> this.  Java is too important.

I hear this a lot, and although I agree that Java is
important, I don't think that it's "so" important that
significant time and energy be spent on fixing something
and maintaining something that a large and controlling
entity feels the need to do everything it can to
bury it...

In other words, if Sun continues down this path, which
will invariably lead to Java becoming less and less
significant due to the community finally having
reached their fill of all this funny business, another
language and "technology" will for sure take its
place.

It would be like saying, tens of millions of
years ago, we need to stop the impending comet;
dinosaurs are too important. In both cases, it's
a specific heavenly body creating the disaster.

Note this has nothing to do with the EC or JCP
or JSPA, but simple survival of the fittest.

Are we there yet... no, not at all. But we're
certainly headed in that direction and gaining
momentum.