www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Suspend ASF Java development for one week
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 04:40:15 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2007, at 5:16 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> WHY NOT SUSPEND PARTICIPATION IN THE JCP -- THE ROOT OF THE ACTUAL
>> PROBLEM!!!
>
> That is a possible outcome.  But we're not ready to give up yet.

I'd personally be strongly -1 on this.  One foot in and one foot out
the door is not way to effect positive change.

> Another solution may be just to close down the JCP as a valiant
> experiment, and let MSFT and Sun battle it out with their closed
> products (or join forces).  The rest of us would probably schlep over to
> OSGi, use Harmony as the basic runtime, and see what happens...

And is certainly a consideration.  I don't necessarily agree with...

> However, it's far too early to consider either of those outcomes, which
> would be fairly unpleasant and disruptive.

And the current situation is not so, in what sense?

I think we have to give this a very short period of time to work itself
out, but if the JCP organization is not a self-maintaining, self-healing
standards body, but the puppet of Sun, we have no business there.  We'll
see what the JCP thinks of the recent blogging and current behaviors
w.r.t. J2SE 6, which has become even more bizarre than J2SE 5 offers...

Bill