www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:40:26 GMT

On Aug 12, 2007, at 8:19 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> That is a false dilemma.  There is also "withdrawal" as an option.
>>> :-)  Thank you for putting "stay the course".
>>
>> Withdrawal is clearly an option.  We're just not ready to give up
>> yet.  We've have a multi-year track record of success, and I
>> expect that we'll have a successful outcome here.
>>
> At what point is this up.  What is the timeline for withdrawal?

The board will be evaluating this on a regular basis.  We have some
near-term milestones to examine first.

>>> I don't really support "the surge" being given indefinite time to
>>> work.
>>
>> Well, that would be a different subject, namely the Iraq war.
>> (And you probably thought these references were clever...)
>>
>> There's no "surge" here - there's a set sequence of steps that
>> we're taking that don't involve any wishful thinking or additional
>> resources.
> The reference was extended but it did not originate with me :-)
>>

>> Ok.  Objections noted.  The strategy around voting was discussed
>> and agreed to by the Apache board at the last meeting.  It will be
>> presented in more detail to the jcp-open list later this week.
>>
> The objections have been noted for 5 years.

And our communities that work in and around the JCP and it's specs
have generally flourished.  Now we've run into a bit of a roadblock.
Do you think we should just throw in the towel because of a little
challenge like this?  This issue is worth standing up for.

>> And please don't be a quisling and traffic the "these are Geir's
>> decisions" meme.  That's already been tried.
>>
> But they are Geir.  Because most of board have been coming up in
> disagreement at least publicly with most of your "cave in and take
> it for several more years" strategy and yet at the same time...the
> actions taken are what you favor.

How did we "cave"?  To what did we "cave"?

> I'd like to see you loose on a few points before I rejoin you in
> the national unity party (the reference was Geir's, I just extended
> it).  It isn't the first time I've been called a quisling by
> you...probably won't be the last...at least we're both consistent
> in that area.

No, I don't think that I've ever done that before, because while I've
seen you hold a position that was contrary to the ASFs, those
positions had merit.

> So Geir: At what point (days, weeks, months, decades) are you
> willing to allow apache to withdraw from the JCP?

I hereby proclaim that I, Geir Magnusson, through the powers vested
in me by my movie-star looks and buff physique, hereby allow, due to
my munificence and aforementioned good looks, the Apache Software
Foundation to withraw from the JCP.

LOL

To be honest, I'd like to be leading the way if we decide to leave,
and truth be told, I'm actually personally not far from advocating
that course of action.  But I'm only one voice, and at this point, I
suspect that would be supporting Sun as well, because they don't seem
to be too interested in an open java ecosystem.

geir