www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: *CK Levelset
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:33:56 GMT
On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 20:49 -0400, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> We sent the Open Letter back in April, or so, and Sun has never
> formally responded to our request for the JCK with no restrictions
> apart from Rich's recent Blog about the JCK being released under
> GPLv2.  His blog has a passing comment about Harmony and indicates
> that there will be no JCK for Harmony.

The bloody JCK is *NOT* released under GPLv2. The JCK is a piece of
proprietary software and the central piece to keep the "compile once,
run everywhere" promise alive.

http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#k3

That answer can not be misunderstood.

The new JCK license allows you, if you develop a J2SE 6 that is released
under GPLv2 *AND* substantially derived from OpenJDK (which implies
releasing under GPLv2 again), to gain access to the JCK without support
(section 3 of the license) at no charge *AND* does not restrict the
usage of your resulting J2SE 6 product. It does *NOT* give you a GPLv2
licensed version of the JCK.

Under the existing scholarship program, we (as in ASF) could gain access
to the JCK *and* get support from Sun for free, if we would accept that
the license that we would get the JCK under, would impose restrictions
on the license under which we could distribute the resulting J2SE 6 (!)
implementation. Restrictions which are incompatible with the ASL.

But Sun will *never* *never* *never* put the JCK under a free license.
The JCK is the whip that keeps the Java platform together.

	Best regards
		Henning

P.S.: BTW: I did not find any "free of charge" or "at not cost"
paragraph in the license
(http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-tck-license.pdf) Did I not look
hard enough or is it possible that Sun reserves the right to charge some
parties that apply under that license?