www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:49:11 GMT
As no one answered you: The TCK licensing terms allow you to develop
something derived from the OpenJDK codebase and released under GPLv2
(nothing else). You get the TCK without any support and if your project
manages to pass the TCK, you are allowed to call it "J2SE 6" and use all
the Java trademarks. The TCK puts additional restrictions on your code
base (which IMHO is cutting it really close with the "no additional
restrictions" term of the GPL v2), that say "your code *must* be
substantially derived from OpenJDK".

You are *not* allowed to redistribute the TCK or to change the TCK in
any way. You don't get the source code of the TCK. You are not allowed
to discuss TCK results with anyone, unless that other party has also
access to the TCK under the same licensing terms (effectively blocking
out any discussion / conversation between e.g. OpenJDK projects and
other efforts (either commercial or (hypothetical) Apache Harmony).

	Best regards
		Henning

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:32 -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> I'm not clear on this...are the TCKs themselves being made available
> under GPL or just being made "available" to those who use GPL?
>

> Sam Ruby wrote:

But

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n