www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:12:15 GMT
On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:19 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:

> "An implementation is "substantially derived" from the OpenJDK code base
> if it includes a large body of code existing in the code base that does
> something identifiably significant, or implements some set of APIs in
> their entirety. The code need not be part of Sun's implementation it
> only needs to exist in the code base."
>
> the 'substantially derived' clause is there to stop anyone testing a
> harmony release that I made under GPL, and certifying compliance.

Which means that they are driving a wedge between "OpenJDK derived GPL
implementations" and "grass roots GPL implementations" of J2SE 6 and
beyond. The TCK license speaks only of J2SE 6.

Now that is IMHO something that the FSF will not like... Maybe we should
point this out specifically to RMS and just sit back.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n