www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:59:42 GMT

On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Paraphrased, the ASF position is that we have no problem with
> communities forming around commercial implementations, or around
> non-open source licenses, or around open or free licenses other than
> our own, or around the Apache License, Version 2.0 at places other
> than the ASF.

This is not as much a position, but rather common sense. Why would we
have a problem with whatever other people are doing? The question
here is whether it is beneficial for the Foundation to participate in
a given community (JCP in this case).

> But, and this is a key but, at the ASF we only nurture communities
> that release software under the Apache License.  From time to time,
> I've seen that position labeled as 'ideological', coupled with calls
> for us to 'be pragmatic'.

I thought of Andrew's "subfree" email as a provocation (maybe with
the goal to point to the futility of the current JCP fight, and turn
it towards JCP withdrawal route? I don't know). I am really hoping
that "subfree" is not up for serious discussion, otherwise it will be
a very sad turn of events at the Foundation.

Andrus