www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Looks like Sun responded to the Open Letter
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:30:30 GMT

On Aug 11, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 00:22 -0600, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> It also is a pretty shameless attempt to try to exploit/create a rift
>> between "free software" and "open source".
>
> Geir, please stop saying that. Sooner or later, someone will quote you
> on it.

Read Rich's blog.

> Sun is trying to create a rift between "free software" and "free
> software"! And we should continue to hammer that home into the
> heads of
> the "all software should be free" crowd.

For various definitions of "free", I guess.

> The rift goes between "GPL implementations of J2SE 6" and "GPL
> implementations of J2SE 6, based on the OpenJDK code". We simply
> happen
> to be on one side here, but the rift is not between "us" and
> "them". It
> is between "them" and "them, as defined by Sun".

No - we have no standing in any "rift" related to the GPL TCK, since
we don't distribute software under the GPL.  Dalibor may have a
problem, if he tries to get a license to certify Kaffe + GNU
Classpath, but I can't predict what will happen there.

While I find the GPL TCK interesting for all sorts of reasons, it
really has nothing to do with our problem - Sun is obligated to offer
the ASF a TCK license for Java SE that doesn't attempt to place usage
restrictions on our users.

geir