www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:24:54 GMT

<snip>

> If the latter, we've publicly called Sun out on a position that is at
> odds with their past public promises, current obligations under
> contract, and current positioning of themselves as somehow embracing
> of community-oriented open source software development.
>
> What can they say?
>
> "Yes, Apache is right, we're in breach of contract." ?
>
> or
>
> "No, Apache is wrong.  The FOU limits are allowed by the JSPA and
> consistent w/ our past promises and current view towards open source"?

if their legal advice is that the latter is right then they may well
be doing apache a service by keeping quiet. if apache is wrong then
we're in breach of our non-profit charter. this would not be good. i
doubt that sun would like to go down in history as the corporation
that killed the apache software foundation...

- robert