www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Food for thought
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:51:58 GMT
On 7/6/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
> >
> > Thanks. I was completely unaware of that. I notice that it doesn't say
> > anything regarding NDAs or TCKs, so I guess that is why it was OK to
> > participate and approve JSR 270? (I hope this doesn't come across as
> > snotty or antagonistic. I haven't reviewed the archives of this list yet
> > so I really have no idea what has come before).
>
> JSR 270 would not have been approved with the TCK restrictions.
>
> The trouble, as usual, is that licenses are handed to the licensees very
> late in the game.  This is why I supported an Abstain until the actual
> TCK license is presented on future JSR proposals.  We can only vote +1
> on proposals we know will be open source.

the current process is flawed WRT to non-profit organisations. to
participate, they need to know up front whether their charter permits
the activity. the most elegant way to achieve this would be for the
specification lead to issue a license for the TCK covering all
qualifying non-profit organisations before the JSR starts.

IMO it is not safe for a non-profit to participate officially in any
JSR which does not have a license issued

- robert