www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Polls vs Votes (was Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies)
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:49:07 GMT
On 7/3/07, Joe Schaefer <joe+apache@sunstarsys.com> wrote:
> Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> writes:
>
> > As a non-member I may not know the full negotiation history, this
> > doesn't mean that myself or committers from other projects have no
> > business taking part in this discussion.
>
> That's not what Roy is talking about, I don't think.  The point is that
> jcp-open@ is *solely* a discussion list, with no ability to issue
> votes which are binding on the foundation.  And I don't think it'd
> be a good idea for us to turn it into one.  Perhaps Sam should have
> called it a [POLL], because that's all it really is.

+1

but it's important (for anyone who's coming new to this discussion) to
understand that members are very touchy about the JCP since it
involves matters of the apache charter. there are significant legal
consequences for apache and the membership if we get this wrong. in
the end, the members are responsible and there may even be questions
of liability.

but i hope that everyone will cut each other a little more slack in
these difficult times

- robert