www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inaction on Java SE JSR?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:34:11 GMT
On 7/2/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 7/1/07, *Geir Magnusson Jr.* <geir@pobox.com <mailto:geir@pobox.com>>
> > wrote:
> >     On Jun 29, 2007, at 4:24 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

<snip>

> > the GPL3 has finally been issued/ apache should now take the offensive
> > and move the battle onto ground more favourable to us. we should propose
> > and lead an ethics process JSR. the aim would be to examine how the JCP
> > process can be improved to allow greater participation by non-profit and
> > academic organisations and the general public, and examine specification
> > lead ethics.
>
> Interesting idea.  But as the JSPA already spelled these things out,

IIRC one of the sun blogs stated that lawyers at sun have argued that
JSPA does not mean anything like this

> there  is not much another document will do to correct a signatory who ignores it.

as a non-profit, participation in a process that is run for benefit of
a single corporation is very difficult. if the current process does
not (as we thought) guarantee that non-profits are able to participate
then the process needs to change. JSRs are the way that these
processes are changed.

AIUI JSPA suffers from a hub and spoke architecture: everyone has
agreements with sun. this means that sun is able to bully any player
who is too small to sue.

(interestingly, a similar structure with similar weaknesses has been
set up for OpenJDK)

- robert