www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Are proprietary TCK's compatible with open standards?
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:08:30 GMT
On Jul 10, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> I know this isn't timely, but I've been looking into the issue of
> the TCK harness technology and can't find anything to back up Roy's
> claims here.
>
> In fact, the TCK harness used by the CTS is open source and has
> been for many months. Please see https://jtharness.dev.java.net for
> details.

Umm, that's great, but the last time I checked it was closed source,
subject to restrictive NDAs, and I was informed by those supposedly
in the know within the PMO and Sun legal that "it would never be
open sourced."  That was two years ago.

It doesn't surprise me at all to see something on java.net now.
It appears to have been released as GPLv2 on November 6 but never
actually announced to the world outside java.net.  19 messages
on the list since then?  *shrug*

> Perhaps, Roy, you are referring to a different test harness? Which
> one is that?

I can't tell you.  Sorry.  AFAIK, it should be the same one, but
I never looked at the contents of the one under NDA.  I was talking
about the test harness that Sun imposed on Day for the sake of
confirming signature coverage.  It was one of the excuses for Sun
legal not allowing TCKs to be distributed as open source at the time,
and we were forced to double the work in order to both create our
own harness and make our tests work under the Sun harness so that
the PMO would confirm coverage.  It is certainly good to know we
won't have to do that again for JSR 283.

....Roy