www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:10:37 GMT
On Jul 9, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 7/9/07, Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I guess I still don't completely understand. Apache code is
>> licensed under
>> the ASL. If I, as an indidual, ran the TCK against Harmony and
>> announced
>> to the world that it had passed, why would anyone be affected? All
>> I have
>> done is run a utility program against my binaries. How can the act of
>> doing that change the ASL for the rest of the world?
>
> Running the TCK gives us the magic certification which in turn gives
> the ASF the necessary patent licenses to legally redistribute the
> binaries.  -- justin

This is a huge concern of mine.  If we believe that we can not
distribute this code without running the TCK, I think this creates
all sorts of problems for us.  For example, lots of Apache projects
"Release" uncertified milestones and snapshots which I'm not sure we
could do if there was a patent restriction.  The biggest issue is
downstream recipients of the code.  If they modify the code or build
from source, they would be using an uncertified binary without patent
licenses, and I believe that constitutes a downstream restriction.
My very simple understanding of the ASL doesn't allow for such
restrictions.

-dain