www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: No NDAs? Or open TCKs?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 03:53:39 GMT

On Jul 2, 2007, at 11:46 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> I think something got lost in the noise...
>
> When we say "No NDA" we are asking as a matter of convenience to
> not make individual open source project participants to be bound
> to an NDA?

I don't understand the question, but I'll try anyway - right now, if
someone wants to use a TCK from Sun for an Apache project, we ask
that they sign our NDA (it's between ASF and the person).

You can read it here :

   http://www.apache.org/jcp/ApacheNDA.pdf

> But - are we OK with a specific TCK license which is closed, e.g.
> would state "Licensed to developers of ASF software, irrespective
> of their other affiliations, provided the use is limited strictly
> to validation of development and implementations published through
> the ASF"?

Well, that's what we have.  But we ask people sign the NDA so that
they can positively state they understand that the materials are not
for redistribution, and we don't discuss the internals of using the
tests or partial results on public lists.

What I'd like to do is simply try to revert to a lighter restriction
- people assert that they understand that the materials are only for
use here, and we can talk about them on regular dev lists.

> I think we are fine with the later.  We need no license to ship
> a TCK outside of an ASF community, and no need to use it beyond
> the community.  I believe we are only asking, as a matter of
> principal, not to burden individual committers and PMC members
> by filing NDA's.

I'm fairly familiar with the issue :)  How do we hold people
accountable if they do decide to use the TCK for their own commercial
use, for example?  Sun may hold us accountable.  The NDA is, IMO, one
way that we demonstrate that we're taking due care.

And no, we don't demand open TCKs.  We ask, but don't require.  But
tomorrow is another day here on the wild and wooly jcp-open@ list...

geir