www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:48:15 GMT
The problem is "and (iii) passes the TCK (including satisfying the
requirements of the applicable TCK Users Guide) for such
Specification".  I think that the full text is effectually saying,
"we'll give you the copyrights and patents (that we can) as long as
the code passes the TCK".  The problem is that getting a TCK is not
easy and without acquiring a TCK license from the owner you do not
have the rights to execute derivative the code.  In the past, people
have said that "if you don't pass the TCK you simply can't call it
Java" (or what every the brand is), but I believe this text is saying
"without the TCK you don't have a license for the IP required to
execute the code".

So, if a TCK is required to obtain the IP necessary to legally
execute the code, and a TCK can cost money, I think we have an
additional restrictions beyond the ASL.

-dain