www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:40:05 GMT
Wade,

I think we are talking by each other.  I think this boils down to one
simple issue.

   Is the intellectual property only licensed to compliant
implementations of the specification?

If so, I don't see how this fits with the ASF.  FWIU, anyone should
be able to use, modify and redistribute derivatives of ASF software.
Specifically, someone should be able to modify Geronimo (JEE5 tested
and certified) to make it non-compliant and still have the ability to
sell such a non-compliant derivative work.  Of course they could not
call it JEE or Geronimo, but they should be able to sell their binary.

Assuming all derivative works must be compliant with the spec in
order to receive the core IP rights contained in the software, then I
don't see how it qualifies for sections 3 and section 7 of the OSI
open source definition (http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd).

-dain