www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: servlet 3.0 (JSR-315)
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:39:01 GMT

On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:08 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On 7/2/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>> Bill Shannon, spec lead for the new JSR-315 (servlet 3.0), confirmed
>> that there will be no FOU restrictions for the TCK for this JSR.
>>
>> Unless there are any objections, I intend to vote "yes" on behalf of
>> Apache for this JSR. (today)
>
> Will NDAs be required to access to TCK?  Will development of this JSR
> require a private mailing list?
>
> If the answer to either of the above two is either 'yes' or 'unknown',
> then I VEHEMENTLY object, and call for others on this mailing list to
> do so too.

I've pondered this for a few more minutes, and I think it's
unreasonable to expect that the JCP EGs can work w/o any private
list, when our own projects don't work without a private list.

Clearly, if we're going to drive "the Apache Way" (whatever the hell
that is...) into the JCP EGs working behavior, this can't be by vague
fiat.

The servlet JSR has a public list, and a private list.  I think that
the real question is how that private list will be used.

I think that we should :

1) note our support for working in the open (it's like "the Apache Way")
2) in our vote, also note that we expect them to do technical work in
public
3) we will have people on that EG -> let *them* report back to us if
the EG is doing technical development in public (and see if the EG is
reacting to ASF representation urging them to do the tech work in
public).
4) If they don't - if they do things in secret - we vote "no" on
future votes for that JSR.

This don't solve the NDA for TCK issue of course.

geir