www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round 2
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:52:23 GMT
> Because we are invited to the committee based on our technical acumen.
> If we change our votes that are supposed to be based on the technical
> components to -1s for political reasons (or reasons that are not based
> on technical merits), then we will be viewed as activists, and likely
> won't be invited in the future.  The invites should be based on our
> technical capabilities.  Whether we choose to accept being on these JSRs
>  based on our policies is our choice, but lets not become a roadblock.
> Lets take the high road.

Invites?  We were elected.  And, we recently won 'JCP Member of the
Year' again.  If the JCP voting populace is dis-satisfied with our
behavior, they have an opportunity to voice that displeasure by voting
us off the EC when our term expires soon.  Until then, I think we
should act according to our principles - as we have in the past -
within the JCP.

If we took the view you are advocating, then the JCP as you know it,
wouldn't exist.  I do realize that you and others weren't around for
the last round of JCP negotiations in 2002 (briefly summarized at
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jspa-position.html).  -- justin