www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: No NDAs? Or open TCKs?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:28:45 GMT
On 7/2/07, Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com> wrote:
> implementations of their respective specs, so I don't think that it is
> really fair to penalize them with an asterisk on their sites that they
> aren't officially certified just because of the dust up with Harmony.

Well, to be fair - I personally view it more than a 'dust up'.

Sun is refusing to provide the TCK unless the ASF promises to restrict
Harmony from running on anything other than 'general purpose
computers' where Sun gets to define what that means.  If Sun came and
told us that the FOU restriction (or any other FOU - perhaps that they
can only run on 'single-core computers') also applied for servlets
(i.e. Tomcat) and J2EE (Geronimo), would you be content to leave it
be?

I don't mean the question rhetorically - seriously, would you and the
Tomcat community be happy to accept such a FOU restriction for Tomcat?
 What is reasonable in your opinion?  So far, we've taken a rather
hard line - but is there a justification from the Java community to
accepting FOUs?

The little devil on my shoulder says to expect Sun to start placing
FOU restrictions on all of their specs where possible once they know
this strategy will succeed.  Promises from spec leads  simply
shouldn't be considered binding as the spec lead almost certainly
lacks the authority to make such offers on behalf of Sun.  -- justin