www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:17:25 GMT
--- Roland Weber <rolandw@apache.org> wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > I believe that the vote 'no to Sun-led JSRs'
> strategy is the correct one
> > for the foreseeable future. Sun have broken their
> JSPA agreement,
> > knowing we can't sue. This is currently our best
> course of action,
> > however we do need to determine what our next
> strategy is if this one
> > fails to succeed.
>
> I believe the technical term is "exit strategy". I
> agree with you
> that the VNTS-JSRs strategy is the best for now, but
> also with Andy's
> assessment that this strategy is basically
> ineffective. Either other
> participants of the JCP put pressure on Sun, or this
> situation will
> not be resolved at all.
> It's taken two months of discussion to get to this
> temporary strategy,
> it will take even longer to get to the next one. Sun
> will have ample
> time to reconsider, or not. If they do, everything's
> peachy. So the
> discussion should focus on the other case.

Seems to me, if one thinks this should all be open,
then leaving a lawsuit on the table and being willing
to use it is a better strategy than an exit strategy.
The corporations, such as IBM or BEA or Oracle or
whoever are probably not going to get into this more
than likely because they want to be able to do what
ever they like when it comes their turn and still get
to share IP.

Sort of like IBM suing Amazon over things they should
never have been able to patent. This is what large out
of touch corporations do. Damage the integrity of the
system and work to make it harder on the little guy.
To me the best thing Apache can do is stand up for the
little guys whenever they get the chance. This seems
like one of them.

Wade