www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:32:21 GMT
On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:21 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> I really believe that voting "no" for political or beliefs will
> only cause us to be viewed in a light different than we are
> currently perceived.  If we are not going to vote on the technical
> aspects of the JSR,  l recommend we make a public statement to pull
> out of the JCP or JSR.  If we vote "no" for political purposes, I
> certainly believe we will do some damage with our reputation.  I am
> behind our ideals 100%, but let's go about communicating it a way
> that shows some class and not in an obstructive way.

Why is it political to vote "no" when the spec lead has a history
of violating a contractual requirement of all spec leads?  Would you
also complain if we denied commit access to someone who regularly
submitted copyright violations?  There is no effective difference.

This vote is on whether the spec lead can create an EG and own this
subset of Java.  There is absolutely nothing technical about the EC
vote.
It is a practical matter of license concerns about a technology and
the unwillingness of a spec lead to adhere to the agreed terms.

....Roy