www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 04:29:40 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> I'll go further :)
>
> Apache have made many releases of the JSTL implementation - by the
> expert group with their Apache hats on. The TCK has afaik, never been
> run for the Apache release for any of these releases. It was run for
> the official RI, which was a copy of the Apache code released at
> java.sun.com.
>
> Thus - I don't see why I need to run the TCK for the upcoming release.
> Unless I hear otherwise, I'm not going to be running the TCK, we
> haven't run it before.

I'd say that that is a decision that is up to your project. I suppose if
you aren't violating anybody's patents and aren't claiming compatibility
then there shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think this works for all projects though. I have a hard time
believing that Harmony would have much success unless it was certified
by somebody to really be "Java".  However, I'm really not sure why that
somebody has to be Apache.

Ralph