www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TSFKAJ
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:59:28 GMT
Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Tim Bray <Tim.Bray@...> writes:
>> I had always assumed that
>> once SE was GPL'ed, there'd be lots of people shipping interesting
>> and useful deltas that aren't called Java.   "TSFKAJ, Toshiba
>> Satellite U205-S5068 version".  -Tim
>
> There are a couple of those out there now, but most need to replace some of the
> encumbrances, make it work on some non-ported architecture or scale it down for
> embedded use first:
>
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/06/openjdk-hybrids

Interesting. Now, if you want to keep maintenance costs down you want to
get your fixes back in to the main branch, and no doubt sun would like
to take on the bugfixes that get proxy support working on kde desktops,
etc. But nobody likes to take patches from random developers. Patches
that say "Here's my fix to the proxy code, it passes all tests" you'd be
much happier. Having a completely open test suite makes it much easier,
especially if it comes with a set of VMware images to emulate reference
platforms (or the OSS ones, anyway)

Looking at the IcedTea release, it appears they are stubbing out the
stuff that is restricted: sound, snmp and bits of AWT. For server-side
JREs, you probably dont need a functional sound subsystem, and its
pretty hard to test too -I suspect that the TCK doesn't, not unless it
requires you to connect audio out to audio in so that it can verify
round tripping, and even then you can't easily distinguish between a
loopback in software, a noisy loopback in software and real sound
hardware. AWT is testable, and the TCK may have something there, but you
are up against the problem of verifying acceptability of different
rendering algorithms. Bit-for-bit image comparision works for regression
testing on identical hardware, but not for testing different renderers,
which, on windows, can mean different display drivers.

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/