www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Testable specifications
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:33:40 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Sam Ruby said:
>> Let me caution everybody here.  We (the ASF) aren't here to bolster or
>> destroy monopolies[1].  Nor do we exist as a referendum of sorts on
>> various standards bodies.  The ASF is a place where like minded people
>> can join together to build sustainable communities anchored by code
>> offered under the Apache License.
>
> This is true because the ASF membership has defined itself this way. If
> the ASF members decided they wanted to emulate the FSF or be a referendum
> on standards bodies, then they would be free to do so.  I'm not trying to
> argue with the point you are making. I just like to point out that the way
> things are at the ASF is because that is the way we choose them to be.

This thread is entirely off topic.  The definition of "what is the ASF" is
for the members to collectively decide, which is why anything more on this
topic belongs on members@.  I'm pretty sure an "activist" ASF would be seen
by many (including me) as exclusionary, as opposed to inclusive.  Sam's
point above is that we have built the ASF as an inclusive community of coders.

There is a huge diversity of opinion between the members on technology, the
politics of coding, IP law and so forth.  And this diversity is part of what
makes the ASF unique.  But the *members* are free to collectively decide to
go another direction, take it up with them :)