www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jcp-open Digest of: get.703_703
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 07:58:17 GMT
Ralph Goers schrieb:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
[...]
>> The AL is powerful because of 1. the amount of code available for people
>> (especially developers) to use, and 2. minimal restrictions necessary to
>> protect the developers of that code.  If it's watered down with
>> additional
>> cruft, it loses it's validity.  This is one of the major obstacles for
>> the
>> GPLv3 itself, to overcome the simplicity of the GPLv2 in the minds of
>> users of the GPL.
>>
> Actually, I disagree with your observations about the GPL. I think many
> folks are comfortable using it in many situations, and many GPL projects
> are doing quite well. Secondly, while I agree with your observations

Until proven otherwise, I am a firm believer, that 90+% of all projects
on sf.net or anywhere else that choose GPL as their "free license" do so
without ever having read or even understood the lawyerspeak inside it.
They mainly do so because "everyone else is doing it" and "it is cool".

I observed multiple times that once you talk to a developer and
*explain* him what GPL exactly means in a legalese sense, they start to
wonder whether they did the right choice. And GPLv2 was a boring but
manageable read. GPLv3 is not.

	Best regards
		Henning