www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: Are proprietary TCK's compatible with open standards?
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:16:35 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> No, because the FOU issue has nothing to do with the NDA issue. The
> FOU issue is at it's base, a breach of contract. No amount of policy
> or public statements can prevent if from happening in the future. The
> NDA issue is a policy issue for the ASF, based on a belief that such
> limits hinder our communities.
>
> We're reacting in anger at the FOU issue by tying the NDA issue.
No the NDA is what allows for the FOU issue. Sunshine is the best
disinfectant. The NDA gives them cover to do dirty deeds that they might
not do in the light. Even if you do not agree then I ask do you LIKE the
NDA and think it makes open source implementation of "open standard"s
better or worse? If not, why not address both while we're everyone is
paying attention?

-Andy

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite