www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round 2
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:31:46 GMT

Roland Weber wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> What a great way to make this happen....by voting no.  Instead of just
>> making a stance by saying we will no longer participate because we don't
>> feel the JCP is doing the right thing, they just don't invite us to play
>> in the game anymore, because we sit in the middle of the court while a
>> game is going on (voting no).  Why not walk off the court and say "we
>> don't like the rules, so we don't want to play the game.  Invite us when
>> your rules get better."  There is a huge difference in delivery, who is
>> in control, and makes a much different statement.
>
> I agree with your analysis. I just don't see how your
> metaphor matches. Abstaining from votes is not "leaving
> the court". Abstaining is sitting in the middle while
> the play goes on. Pulling out altogether would be
> leaving the court. Voting "No" is standing in the
> middle of the court and shouting: listen, this cannot
> continue like it used to be.

I have changed my tune somewhat ;-)  I am fine with the -1 for
forumulation of JSR...I am not once its ratified and we are on it (and
dealing/voting with technical issues).  My experience with the JCP has
really only been on EGs, so I have a different set of glasses on how I
viewed what the -1 is for. ;-)

Jeff