www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round 2
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:33:52 GMT

Roland Weber wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> I really don't like the "vote against" component.  IMHO, that is
>> disruptive and will give us an interesting reputation.  I would
>> recommend we simply pull out of JSRs that don't play by the rules.
>
> I don't know how the JSR participants are selected. If the
> ASF is asked/invited/accepted as a member of the JSR, and
> our rules of engagement are known in advance, the JSR has
> to deal with "No" votes based on these rules.

Yup...what a great way to make it so we aren't invited again, right?

So now they are in control because we won't get invited any more, right?

> They can't
> just get the ASF on board, issue a press release that the
> effort is backed by the ASF, and then mob us out when the
> press doesn't care anymore. If they don't like our rules,
> they shouldn't let us on board.

What a great way to make this happen....by voting no.  Instead of just
making a stance by saying we will no longer participate because we don't
feel the JCP is doing the right thing, they just don't invite us to play
in the game anymore, because we sit in the middle of the court while a
game is going on (voting no).  Why not walk off the court and say "we
don't like the rules, so we don't want to play the game.  Invite us when
your rules get better."  There is a huge difference in delivery, who is
in control, and makes a much different statement.