www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Food for thought
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:45:51 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Just a reminder that we have the following absolute policy since 2002 about
> implementing any standards (be they JSR's or any other specification).
>
> So you might want to frame the changes you want in relation to this final
> word[1]
>
>           NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that The Apache Software
>           Foundation will no longer participate in the development of
>           implementations or interface standards that cannot be completely
>           implemented and distributed as open source software, without
>           royalties or fees of any kind, by nonprofit and educational
>           organizations; and be it further
>
>           RESOLVED, that the Board of Directors hereby instructs all
>           Project Management Committees of the Foundation to review any
>           and all specifications for which the Foundation's software acts
>           as a publicly distributed open-source implementation and ensure
>           that one of the following is true:
>
>             a) the Foundation has right and title to all technology necessary
>                to implement the specification and we have provided a license
>                to others to implement it under the same or similar terms
>                as the Apache software license; or
>
>             b) the copyright holders have granted an irrevocable, no-charge,
>                royalty-free license to any nonprofit or educational
>                organization to implement the specification for the purpose
>                of distribution to the public, where such license is
>                sufficiently complete to describe all terms and conditions
>                applicable to the specification at the time a copy of the
>                specification is obtained;
>

> [1]
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_03_20.txt

Thanks. I was completely unaware of that. I notice that it doesn't say
anything regarding NDAs or TCKs, so I guess that is why it was OK to
participate and approve JSR 270? (I hope this doesn't come across as
snotty or antagonistic. I haven't reviewed the archives of this list yet
so I really have no idea what has come before).

Ralph