www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: Are proprietary TCK's compatible with open standards?
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:39:22 GMT
"The Apache Software Foundation provides support for the Apache
community of open-source software projects. The Apache projects
<http://projects.apache.org/> are characterized by a collaborative,
consensus based development process, an open and pragmatic software
license, and a desire to create high quality software that leads the way
in its field. We consider ourselves not simply a group of projects
sharing a server, but rather a community of developers and users."

Until Apache refutes the NDAs there are two classes and a large amount
of the "Apache development" is neither community-based nor open.  Apache
should refute the NDAs and let Sun decide whether Apache can continue to
serve on the spec committees.

The licensing FOU stuff is a symptom of the underlying problem.  What
does Apache stand for?  Is it for Open Source?  No because the code is
compromised by FOU restrictions.  Is it for "community developed"
software -- no because the community cannot participate in the TCK part
of the development or with other apache developers in key parts of the
architecture of those projects.  Consensus?  You can't gather consensus
outside the group in the know

However standing on the principals of "community-developed open source
software development" (paraphrased from the front page of
http://apache.org) could cost some people prestige and insider advance
access to Sun's proprietary information.  Not that they can't apply as
individuals or as representatives of their company, but representing
Apache means quite a bit more IMO.

Refute the NDAs and vote NO an any spec that does not guarantee an open
TCK/FOU-free standard, because you believe in Apache standing for
community base open source development (it IS that simple).  Let Sun
make the next move.

-Andy