www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: jcp-open Digest of: get.703_703
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:45:05 GMT

> Subject:
> Inaction on Java SE JSR? (was: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies)
> From:
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@apache.org>
> Date:
> Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:24:54 -0500
> To:
> jcp-open@apache.org
>
> To:
> jcp-open@apache.org
>

> Isn't it time to formally withdraw from that JSR, if we still sit on it?
> Initially the contested Java SE JSR, and later any related/later JSR's of
> the same technology by the same spec lead, and finally - every JSR who's
> spec lead is in persistent violation of the mutually agreed-upon terms
> of the JSPA.  This seems only rational, no?

I think I might take a different approach to this problem. I would
suggest that the only way to really solve this is to modify the Apache
license in a manner similar to the GPL. I would do something like add a
new termination section such as below. This license would terminate
Sun's right to use any Apache software.

10. Termination - Your rights under this license will automatically
terminate should you own or control any specification, process or other
kind of work which is made publicly available under any public license,
but which the Apache Software Foundation is prohibited from implementing
due to license, patent, or other restrictions that are incompatible with
this license and are directly under your control.

Ralph