www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: No NDAs? Or open TCKs?
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:41:28 GMT

> Also as Andy pointed out, the Sun owned OpenJDK has no FOU restrictions,
> so they not playing fair.  This is an obvious double standard and
> something we should all blog about.

What has OpenJDK to do with the JCK ? OpenJDK != Java, so there are FOU restrictions on that
(guessing here). Since Sun is the on that can release a Java version from the OpenJDK, FOU
restrictions is not an issue for Sun themselves.

Just a "though" experiment :

1) We get the JCK and release "Java" under FOU restrictions.
2) We release "Harmony" (same code, same version), as Harmony (as we didn't run the TCK on
that
one), so without restrictions.

Don't know if we can legally do that, but logic says we can (although legal stuff is *not*
based
logic these days)

Mvgr,
Martin