www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:43:53 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> The ASF implements a number of specifications.  And many of us wear
> multiple hats.  As implementors, I fully agree with both the sentence
> I excerpted and the full post you made.
>
> But we wear multiple hats.  If you look at http://www.apache.org/jcp/,
> you will see that it spells out the conditions upon which we will
> actively participate, or lend our good name if you prefer, in the
> actual DEVELOPMENT of standards themselves.
>
> I claim that when we participate, not as individuals, or as
> representatives of our respective employers, but in the development of
> standards as representatives of the Apache Software Foundation, then
> we care about a bit more.

YES.  If they want "ASF, Member, Foo Spec Expert Group" they absolutely
must have an open spec development process.  That's different from our
creating implementations.

And I mentioned before - as members wearing any hat other than your ASF
one, participate all you like across the open and closed universes.

It's only if you sign off "Joe Smith, ASF" that you need to follow any
ASF-policy.

Bill