www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:44:59 GMT

> >> operational
> >>
> >> Aka "Fetch me a Rock"?  :)
> >
> > No, thanks.  I already have one.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~rubys/jcp.html
> >

> Yes, and they are very good.
>
> But could you please comment on the general issue of being able to
> implement specs that aren't created in an "open" manner?  I like the
> idea by I'm not sure if you actually meant it.

I did not insert those words.  Compare:

http://www.apache.org/jcp/

And if I read the svn logs[1] correctly, those words were created by you.

I will acknowledge that I changed the context for those words from
"encourage" to "require".  Did I mean to do so?  Yes.

But, if you now would like to change those words, please propose
something specific.

> It's a side-effect of your "rock", but given it's targeted at the JCP
> only, it really is targeted at a single company.  Granted, that
> company is behaving very badly, but I'd rather see us setup a general
> principled policy, than have one targeting a single commercial entity.

Duh.  This pages concerns itself with the JCP.  This topic of this
mailing list is the JCP.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no other specification process
where the ASF directly participates in collecting NDAs, or in private
mailing lists.  Should we, in the future, ever be presented with the
"opportunity" to do so, I would strongly suggest that we pass on that
opportunity.  Should somebody identify another process that I have
overlooked where people participate, not as individuals or as
employees of their respective companies, but as representatives of the
ASF, and do so on private mailing lists or under condition of NDA,
then I would suggest that we revisit our participating in those
activities too.

I will also note that no single company is singled out or targeted by
the policy spelled out on that page, either before or after my
proposed edits.

Let me add my own +1 to the proposal I drafted.  So at the moment, and
52 days after the deadline that you gave Sun, we have five +1s on the
proposal, and no alternate proposals on the table.

Shall we proceed to an official vote?  Or is there an alternate
proposal imminent?

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/infrastructure/site/trunk/docs/jcp/index.html