www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:45:40 GMT
On Jul 30, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Apache believes Sun is in violation of the JSPA. Sun does not.

Sun's opinion on that matter is irrelevant.  Until we have a TCK in
hand under the terms required by the JSPA, the spec lead is violating
the JSPA (because providing that TCK is a requirement of the JSPA).

> What we are looking for is to get Sun to change their behavior wrt
> licensing TCK's. I think that asking them to develop this TCK in
> the open under an open license would be a step in the direction we
> want them to take.

What good would that do?  Sun promised to do that for all JSRs they
lead.  We have that in writing.  If Sun isn't willing to adhere to
its existing commitments, then whatever additional commitments they
make are irrelevant -- habitual liars do not make good custodians.

We don't need to ask.  It is a requirement of the JSPA, which Sun has
signed with every participant in the JCP, that the Spec Lead must
provide the TCK under terms that do not prevent an open source
implementation.  The terms that Sun provided to us would have required
a change to our license that is incompatible with open source.

....Roy