www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt - or, What can I do with a TCK?
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:59:01 GMT

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for putting this together.
>
> On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> I've been working on Apache Geronimo for a couple of years now and
>> have heard several different stories on what one can do and can't
>> do once an NDA has been signed.  My objective on this thread is to
>> coalesce our communal intelligence on this matter and document the
>> rules of engagement so the projects at the ASF, where necessary,
>> operate on the same guidelines with the confidential material we
>> have received.
>>
>> I have not seen any formal rules of engagement so here is how we
>> operate in Geronimo.  Our means of operation may be paranoid and
>> if we are doing too much then I'd like to be3 able to let some of
>> it go.  Here is a set of rules we use (passed on from committer to
>> committer so these may not all be actual requirements):
>>
>> 1. No XSDs provided by Sun can be reshipped because the copyright
>> statement in them (as provided from the Sun Website) has a clause
>> that prohibits redistribution.
>>     a. We believe this only applies to the annotations / comments
>> as being copyrightable.  The other programtic elements are not
>> copyrightable as they are part of the programming specification.
>>     b. As such, we type the XSDs in manually and omit the
>> annotations and comments and then insert an Apache License.  This
>> is considered redistributable.
>
> This sounds icky. The IP is in the text, and you are not creating
> your own IP by typing from printed matter. This is different from
> creating a clean room implementation. By definition, you cannot
> create a clean room implementation of a specification interface.

I haven't completely understood the arguments I've heard about how
apache can write spec interface jars (such as the ones geronimo has
written), but doesn't this argument also imply that we can't write
the source code for and compile and distribute any such interface
jars under an apache license?  If not, what's the difference?  If so,
where have the sun lawyers been for the last n years?

thanks
david jencks