www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Proposed policy going forward
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:30:00 GMT
Sam has asked for a plan of action. Lots of emails on his, so here's
what I think:

1) We won't run non-open TCKs.
2) We will vote -1 on each JSR we're involved in that is not open
(either for the TCK, or some other reason).
3) We'll still get involved heavily with JSR EGs.
4) We'll still implement JSRs.

---

The first one means that, yes, we will not sign NDAs as they are not
open. This is hard for existing projects who are tied to such things
and my line here would be:

* Any project who have officially passed a TCK can continue to run
that SAME TCK again for future releases. Projects who have not passed
one and have licensed one are out of luck unless they convince us/me
that it's right about to happen.

The second one would be unilateral. If you are a part of the JCP as an
ASF member, then that is how you vote. If you're there as an
individual, then whatever you want is fine.

Of course we will also accept any patches that increase TCK compliance
- the TCK compliance shouldn't make a difference to us as it'll also
be a patch that fixes a bug as per the spec.

As a disclaimer; I've never run a TCK though I did sign the NDA
recently as I'm pondering trying to get and run the JSTL 1.1 TCK. From
what I hear, they're abysmally written pieces of software that take an
age to run. Personally it seems like a lot of work that just bogs down
our ability to release early and release often.

So that's my view/proposed plan. We had an accepted middle ground, the
middle moved, we should move to the new middle.

Hen