www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:59:52 GMT
--- Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote:
> On 7/13/07, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I also did not say do nothing.  I was shooting
> holes in taking a hard
> > line approach (which you  offered) that may
> ultimately "cut off our nose
> > to spite our face".  Playing the ace card with a
> hand full of other
> > cards will likely not be good for anyone.
>
> What other cards do we have left?
>
> Food for thought: if it is obvious that we never
> will take a hard line
> approach, then we might as well not try.  On the
> other hand, if a hard
> line approach is something we are willing to take at
> some point, we
> need to be able to define what that point is.
>
> In other words, does pragmatic == "bend over"; or
> does pragmatic mean
> that we will give a little, but only while there is
> reasonable hope of
> an acceptable solution?
>
> I'm in the latter camp, myself.  And seeing this
> declared an 'impasse'
> in February and not getting any public response to
> the open letter
> published in April means that we are running low on
> cards, and we
> should now be planning what the end game looks like.
>
> Geir has been tasked to come up with this plan.  If
> you have any
> suggestions, or happen to have an ace up your
> sleeve, now would be a
> good time to come forward.

See another email from me which talks about
maintenance and the JCP2 rules. Apache could force JSR
176 into maintenance and the reason even be license
clarity etc. If the person/lead from Sun stops
responding to the group then the EG can get him
replaced with another. If they don't want to continue
the JSR they can always let someone else do it and you
guys can use a transfer ballot. Might take a long
time, but at least you can get more folks involved in
the direct negotiation and see how other companies
will react as well. This will give another option
which can be followed for now.

Wade