www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:06:41 GMT
--- robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/07, Wade Chandler
> <hwadechandler-apache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Joe Schaefer <joe+apache@sunstarsys.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > The FOU restrictions deny us the right to
> distribute
> > > an
> > > Independent Implementation of JSR 176 under the
> > > Apache License.
> > > Were we to accept the FOU restrictions, we'd be
> > > responsible
> > > for enforcing them, which means that we'd be
> > > offering harmony
> > > to users under a discriminatory contract, not
> the AL
> > > 2.0.
> > > That simply won't fly here, nor will it fly over
> the
> > > rest
> > > of the open source distribution network.
> > >

> <snip>
>
> > I haven't seen the text at issue,
>
> one major issue with the JCP is that AIUI the text
> is NDA'd. this
> makes life very difficult for non-profit
> organisations.

Is the license itself under an NDA or just the
material or application? I think these type issues
make it hard on anyone or organization as it makes it
hard to get any others involved who may be able to
help arbitrate the situation without moving to some
form of legal action unless part of the NDA process
involved a clause about arbitration. <OT>Jab: I
haven't ever seen a non-profit where someone wasn't
getting paid heh heh :-P .</OT>

Wade