www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:54:08 GMT
But the license doesn't say you need any extra IP etc.
It states you pass the TCK, and it doesn't even
elaborate beyond that other than satisfying the
requirements of the TCK user guide. What are the
requirements of the TCK user guide? Can these be
shared for analysis? Does the TCK license specifically
deny one organization passing the TCK for an others
sources?

If part of passing the TCK is some type of IP approval
then ok, but if not then I don't see how it applies to
some other restriction as it is not specifically
stating it. With a clean room implementation there is
nothing which is patented as you are not using code
you are just implementing the required interfaces
which the specification license explains are yours
(anyones) royalty free as long as the 3 terms are
adhered to, and the 3rd term (iii) doesn't say who
runs the TCK just that it passes it.

So, I think the TCK terms can play on this depending
on  the limitations of what it can be run against, but
the spec license doesn't say anything (other than the
TCK user manual) in the TCK license affects the
specification license other than just passing the TCK.
For it to hold up in court it would certainly have to
be specific and not leave room for interpretation, and
I believe as it does not say who must run the TCK and
pass the TCK for a given source base it certainly
leaves room for interpretation. This is without seeing
the TCK license or the user manual.

Wade