www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:26:39 GMT
--- "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> >
> > I asked this once & got no reply. How could Sun
> use the harmony code for
> > their exclusive financial benefit? They would be
> subject to the same
> > licence terms as everyone else (remember it's not
> released under the
> > ALv2 in this case, but under some licence with the
> FOU restrictions). I
> > think it's a pretty safe bet that non of the
> harmony code is under Sun's
> > copyright :-), so they can't change the licence.
>
> Obviously some HTTP projects become part of the
> J2SE.  While anyone can use
> those sub-elements as published by the ASF with no
> restrictions, only Sun
> or Sun's licensees can combine those into a finished
> J2SE implementation.
> All the ASF seeks is an unencumbered mutual grant of
> necessary licenses as
> called for by the JSPA agreement that Sun, ASF and
> all the JCP participants
> have entered into.

I totally agree with this statement as it reflects
what I believe to be what the JCP and agreements
state. My main concern is not being able to see a
license as in these things just taking any sides word
on the matter is never a good thing. Facts are what
they are, so for the rest of the community who often
supports Apache this is something important Apache
needs to find a way to do: to allow others to see the
license.

Wade