www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Ralph Goers" <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Testable specifications
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:30:15 GMT
Sam Ruby said:

> Let me caution everybody here.  We (the ASF) aren't here to bolster or
> destroy monopolies[1].  Nor do we exist as a referendum of sorts on
> various standards bodies.  The ASF is a place where like minded people
> can join together to build sustainable communities anchored by code
> offered under the Apache License.

This is true because the ASF membership has defined itself this way. If
the ASF members decided they wanted to emulate the FSF or be a referendum
on standards bodies, then they would be free to do so.  I'm not trying to
argue with the point you are making. I just like to point out that the way
things are at the ASF is because that is the way we choose them to be.

Ralph