www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:17:34 GMT
On Jul 13, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>> Given the above, Apache could choose to stop running any TCKs and
>> continue to develop and ship implementations of JSRs.
>>
>> A long time ago, when I was involved in TCK negotiations with Sun, I
>> remember that their biggest fear was the idea of fracture in Java,
>> and
>> they believed that the TCKs guaranteed that the fracture would not
>> happen.  If Sun has the same fear, Apache could choose to stop using
>> TCKs and let people know that our implementations may not be
>> compliant
>> anymore.  Users that are upset can pressure Sun to change.
>>

> This seems a closed view to me.  The alternative that may occur is
> that
> users may just end up going to use other "open source" app servers and
> projects that are compliant, allowing certain Apache projects to
> wither?
>  I (of course) am a huge Apache supporter, but if my clients say "I
> need
> certified", I unfortunately have to download and install other
> implementations, regardless of my views.

I'm sure Geronimo has nothing to worry about because everyone knows
IBM certifies and sells it as WASCE, so by extension Geronimo is
certified.  As for other projects, is anyone going to seriously drop
Tomcat because it isn't certified.  Or use another JPA implementation?

Anyway, this is an option.  All of this discussion boils down to a
cost/ benefit analyis of what we believe will lead Sun quickest to
recognize the error of it's ways.  I don't think doing nothing is an
option as this will drag out for ever, so Jeff if you have a better
idea speak up (but please don't just keep shooting down ideas because
they may have an effect on the Geronimo adoption rate).  We need a
resolution to this issue.

-dain