www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:01:22 GMT

On Jul 13, 2007, at 9:25 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>> On Jul 12, 2007, at 4:45 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>
>> > On 7/11/07, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> requires.
>> >
>> > my claim is that if apache (as a result of our JSPA agreement)
>> > relicenses harmony under a different license including a FOU
>> then this
>> > would be of direct financial benefit to sun
>>
>> How so?
>
> my bad: should be indirect

:)

Even then, I'm skeptical.  Why?  Three reasons :

1) The horse is out of the barn w/ OpenJDK #1 : Sure, the GPLv2
forces anyone who makes a mod to distribute it (aka "Freedom(TM)"),
but I suspect that since getting an impl of Java to run probably
isn't the competitive differentiator, it doesn't matter.

2) The horse is out of the barn w/ OpenJDK #2 :  Anyone who needs to
have compatible Java(TM) running in that environment that needs to
make a change will need to get the TCK from Sun anyway, and Sun will
extract their levy.   Why not just get the code from Sun under the
other license?  They can at least get some support from Sun - don't
discount that, because people using Java in this way are focused on
the value they are bringing, not being a Java VM shop.

3)  Because ATM, I think Harmony needs some miles under the tires
before anyone would consider putting it into an environment like
that.  Therefore, even if you don't buy the two points above, even if
there's some theoretical indirect benefit, it's at least a year away
before people who would have licensed the tech from Sun for embedded
use will consider Harmony.

   "Hey bob, the X-RAy machine set another suitcase on fire... some
software glitch..."
   "That's ok Jed!  We saved the VM license fee because we used
Harmony!"

That's not a ding on Harmony - just a reflection that the Sun
codebase is about 12 years ahead in terms of maturity and stability.
Harmony will get there.

geir